Home | Scenery | About | Links
If this is your first time ordering, we highly recommend looking over these
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- If you have already ordered and want to know the status of your order, you can check it here. If your digital downloads are ready, there will be a link to download them at the bottom of the page.
Finding your Photos
When will you post the pictures from last week? (see here)
How long do photos stay online? (see here)
Any advice for finding our photos among the millions you post? (see here)
Which category should I look in? (see here)
I was there one day and I don't see any pictures of me! (see here)
Ordering Info / Answers
I'm having problems placing an order! (see here)
What is a Digital Download? (see here)
When will I receive the Digital Download? (see here)
What is "Cropping" and why is it necessary on some prints? (see here)
When will my cd arrive? (see here)
What is the difference between "w/text" and "no text"? (see here)
Do the photos have borders around them? (see here)
What are your shipping charges? (see here)
What can I do with the digital images? (see here)
Can I order by phone? (see here)
Can I pay by check? (see here)
Can I modify/change/combine my order(s)? (see here)
What is the resolution/format of your images? (see here)
Other nuggets of ordering info to keep in mind... (see here)
Other Frequently Asked Questions
What camera do you use? (see here)
Do you make a living at this? (see here)
I'm coming to the Gap soon, will you be out there? (see here)
What will the weather be like when I get there? (see here)
$6 to "Push a Button" Isn't that kinda high? (see here)
Only $6 a shot? Most Photographers charge 10 times that! (see here)
Where did the name "killboy" come from? (see here)
How can I get some of those killboy.com stickers? (see here)
Finding your Photos
- As soon as we can, I promise. Trust me, we want them online more than anyone. We inspect each photo individually for quality, and we typically take several thousand shots a day. We will not rush mediocre photos online as a gimmick to get your business and waste your time. Please be patient and keep checking back in our store here and keep in mind they stay online indefinitely, so your patience will be rewarded!
- Indefinitely! Everything we've shot from 2003 up until now is still online in our store here. Unless we have a hard drive failure or something catastrophic happen, they should be there whenever you're ready. No rush, but they may not be there forever so order as soon as you're able to!
- Yes! First, make sure you are looking in the correct date. Also, you can create a photo album when you start finding your photos, and put them in there. It's a free service.
- We try to make things easy on you by splitting it up by category, but some of you folks on "cross-over" bikes that are a mixture of 2 (or more!) categories, might have a hard time finding yourselves. We try to sort by what the bike is at it's core, regardless of what the dealership or owner has added. Basically, all Harley Davidson's go in Cruisers, along with Valkyries, Magnas, etc. Touring Bikes category is home to the Gold Wings, most BMWs, Pacific Coasts, Concourses, etc.
- We put all of the photos we take online, aside from the obviously bad shots. If you don't see your photo in the shots of that day, you may have gotten out there before we did, or passed through after we stopped for the day, or we just missed you somehow. (we generally shoot from about 9am to 6pm) We sincerely apologize if we didn't get a shot of you. You may also try looking through a different category.
- If you don't see any pictures at all posted from that day, they're probably not uploaded yet, (takes a couple days) or we weren't shooting. You may have seen someone else taking photos, but that doesn't mean it is always us. Some folks are out there shooting to take home their own mementos, some are shooting for business.
Ordering Info / Answers
- Make sure "Cookies" are enabled on your web browser. (usually in the "Privacy" section under "Tools" then "Internet Options")
- Try a different computer. This is almost a guaranteed solution. If you can use a friend's computer, or one at your place of employment, that will often do the trick.
- Give it a couple of hours and try again. Sometimes they have to do maintenance that disrupts the process.
- Please don't give up! We're not standing out there all day for the fun of it...ok, sometimes we are, but we do need your business to pay the bills and continue doing this.
- A digital download is the electronic delivery of the digital file, via the internet, usually within 24 hours. It is the exact same file as the Image on CD but without the shipping charges. You will receive an email with download instructions.
- Orders for Digital Download NO TEXT are typically made available for download within 24 hours of the purchase. Digital Downloads w/TEXT may take up to 48 hours. An email with a download link and instructions will be sent to the email address that was provided with the order. Please check your spam folder in case that email gets put into there. You can check the status of your order here. The download link will be at the bottom of the page if it's ready for download. If you do not receive the download notice in 48 hours, let us know.
- Cropping is the necessary removal of part of the image to fit it onto a print. Depending on the size of the print, the paper that is used is more "Square" than the original "Rectangular" photo produced by the camera. Therefor a small part of the image has to be left off, usually from the left and/or right side(s), in order for it to fit on the paper. We will always do our best to make it look attractive, but on very tight shots you may have to lose some of the front or rear of the vehicle to make it fit. (we usually lose more of the rear if we have to lose any of the vehicle)
- CD's should arrive 1-2 weeks from the date of purchase. Orders shipping outside the US may take longer, due to customs.
- If you order a shot With Text, we open the image in Photoshop, and add text onto the image. If nothing is specified, we put: "Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap - Month, Year" or you can specify what text you want during checkout and we will put exactly what you specify on there. We do not assume you want the generic text if you specify something, so if you want the generic text plus something else, you need to include the generic text in your instructions.
- If you order the image on CD with text, you also get the original image with no text on the same CD.
- If you order Digital Download with text, you only get the image with text. (The upload is an automated process so we can't throw in extras like the original non-text.) Delivery may take up to 48 hours.
- Text is only added if you order and pay for that option.
- We can only fit so much on there, so keep it realistic. ;-)
- No, all photos, are borderless.
- No shipping charges on Digital Delivery. Shipping physical products is a flat $5 in the US, $6 for Canada and Mexico, and $10 for any other country.
- Whatever you want, in a personal, non-commercial manner. If you want to make prints, or copies, that is fine, as long as they are not being used to make money. If you want to use the images commercially, all we usually ask is that you credit "killboy.com" and let us know about it. There is a copyright release included. Note: We are not responsible for poor print quality by print facilities other than the ones we use and recommend. For example, Wal-Mart/Sam's Club prints are notoriously grainy. We recommend EZprints.com or RCProlab.com.
- No, sorry. Photoreflect handles all of our transactions, and we can not process credit cards ourselves. They handle all of that securely, and we do not see any of your payment info. They do not accept orders by phone either.
- No, Photoreflect discontinued this option several years ago.
- Not likely. As mentioned above, Photoreflect processes the payment info. Once that process has been completed, the order is locked-in for your own security, and sent to us for fulfillment. About all we can do at that point is fill or cancel the order, so it's important to look through all shots and make sure your order is correct before submitting.
- We are currently shooting at 8-10 megapixels in highest quality setting JPEG format. These images are more than adequate for poster prints of 24x36 inches.
- Can I see a sample image? (yes, see here)
- Special request orders require more time to process.
- All different digital images ordered on CD are placed on ONE CD.
If you're ready to order, you can proceed to our store here !
Other Frequently Asked Questions
- We currently use Canon 7D digital SLR cameras with various Canon "L" professional lenses.
- Yes, this is our only income and it is full-time work for several of us. We do a little freelance work for magazines, but shooting 1,000,000+ photos a year, sorting, uploading, and filling orders takes more of our time than most people work at full-time jobs.
- Most likely. We shoot practically every day of the week from about 10am until 6pm during the riding season. (March - November) Just enjoy your trip, and hopefully when you get home we'll have some shots of ya.
- Ah the big question...if I knew the answer to that you wouldn't be reading this. The only thing you can do is keep an eye on the forecast like the rest of us mortals. If you're curious about what it is usually like at a certain time of year, check out one of the archives for daily averages like this one.
- Stand out in the weather & bugs every day, watching your friends have a good time. Spend $10,000+ on photo equipment along with all of the other costs and time consumption involved in sorting each photo individually, uploading and processing orders and see if you still think we're just "pushing a button". =)
- Hey, we love what we do, and want everyone to be able to afford a few shots of themselves, not just the rich folks. The kids struggling through school and spending their last dime on riding gear should be able to get a few shots too. Don't let the low prices fool you, these are professional-quality shots. Several magazines have used our work, and that is from the same equipment we shoot you with.
- I started playing online flight sims back in the mid 90's and needed a nickname. The album "Smash" by one of my favorite bands, The Offspring, had just been released. There's a song on there called "Killboy Powerhead". Not the greatest song, but I liked the name so I started using it. Eventually I registered the domain because that's what everyone was doing. For a while the website was about whatever I was into...video games, RC Cars, and finally motorcycles. The website has continued to grow and now I can't get out from under it! But it's cool, something weird, short, easy to remember.
- I Our stickers are available at the Tail of the Dragon Outlet store at the south end of Deals Gap, or you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your shipping info and color preference and we will eventually get them out to you by mail. (be patient please) Our color choices are: Black, White, Red, Yellow, Hot Pink, Silver, Blue, Purple, and Teal.
We hope you found all the answers you were looking for. If you need any other info, feel free to Contact Us.
If you're ready to order, you can proceed to our store here !.